Black Sun Rise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Sun Rise

A Massachusetts Airsoft Group

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Opinions on SAW

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brazzy

Brazzy

Opinions on SAW - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3/12/2010, 11:18 pm

The thing is I always liked the para. Functionality wise its right on the money. Maybe its just me. I think I was the thrid person in New England to own a SAW back in the day when TOP was the only M249 manufacturer. The thing about the front end is that its just a flash hider. You can swap it out for an extension or any other flash hider you want. As for the stock I feel that a full lengh MkII is too long and cumbersome. I will be looking to swap out the current collapsible stock for something like this:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=4645

Cant beat it for the price I got the gun for. This thing was just worked on by a very good airsmith and has a lot of reinforced parts in it as well as a very good shim job. For $150 it was a very good deal. Although the person who sold it to me has an ulterior motive for selling it to me that cheap. He wants me to jack this thing up like I did my first one so the team can use it.
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3/13/2010, 11:58 am

yeah that would definately explain how cheap it was after all that work.
i think that's the first time i've seen the m4 LE stock modified for a saw... it's actually a really good idea, cause like i said the stock that comes with the para really is butt ugly lol.
as for the barrel extensions, that kind of implies to me mock silencer, and i'm not a fan of throwing a silencer on a support weapon like that but i'll have to wait til you throw some pictures up for a final judging. (i'm not a fan of silencers on SAWs because from what i've heard about the real steel, a silencer is impractical on a SAW because the thing lowers accuracy and range and after a couple hundred rounds through it it loses it's ability to quiet the muzzle blast because of the intense heat. but i heard somewhere that a guy developed a silencer that basically contradicts everything i just said because of his new idea for capturing the sound waves and cancelling them out on each other and he was practically giving them away to the marines. i don't remember who he was or what they were called though.)
Back to top Go down
Brazzy

Brazzy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3/13/2010, 3:00 pm

Barrel extensions does not necessarily mean a silencer. There are actual barrel extensions that simply add 4"+ to he weapon. So I could remove the flash hider, add 4"+ of barrel and then add any type of flash hider I want. I wouldnt put a silencer on a saw. If I needed a suppressed weapon I would draw my silenced pistol LOL.
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3/13/2010, 7:08 pm

so basically you could just buy the outer barrel of the mkI or mkII and be all set? if you do that you'll end up with something that's pretty much an MKI with a collapsible stock instead of a folding one... but you said the para was built better right?
Back to top Go down
Brazzy

Brazzy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3/13/2010, 8:51 pm

Not really, they are all the same. I like the para because of the rail on the feed cover tray. If you take the flash hider off the para and add something like this:

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_83&products_id=27518

then add a standard bird cage flash hider the front end will be the same as a MkII.
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3/13/2010, 11:07 pm

or you could buy an MKI and swap the feed cover with a railed one... of course this discussion is kind of pointless cause you're not planning on buying one, you already did buy one so idk why i'm rambling but i figure i'll stop eventually lol.
Back to top Go down
Brazzy

Brazzy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3/14/2010, 1:45 am

Yeah considering the MkI doesnt have the railed feed cover tray or a heat shield. For me the para was the best to build on and I scored one at a good price.
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/7/2010, 9:08 pm

so how do you get a large battery in there? do you use an external battery pouch or something?
Back to top Go down
Brazzy

Brazzy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/8/2010, 9:17 pm

Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/8/2010, 9:57 pm

it's only 1200 mah, my 1000mah lipo runs out after 750 rds, am i just doing something wrong?
Back to top Go down
Brazzy

Brazzy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/8/2010, 10:55 pm

Probably doing something wrong, or its just bad quality. Its pretty hard to kill that battery. Its lasted 3 day long events before.
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/8/2010, 11:05 pm

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?products_id=31118

this is it, as far as i know i'm charging it correctly i have it on a drip charger, and i don't let it completely die, i yank it as soon as the ROF slows down. it usually lasts until i go through all 10 of my mags and then slows down...
Back to top Go down
Brazzy

Brazzy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/9/2010, 6:08 pm

Wow man, sorry to hear that. I have a few of the batts listed above. I have a few that are bigger that that. I also have a stick li-ion. I charge them on this:

Opinions on SAW - Page 2 ImaxB6_7
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/9/2010, 11:38 pm

haha you know you got a good charger when it comes with a case.

but yeah i was planning on getting this when i got some money together,
http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_169&products_id=30627

but then i thought more about it and decided to just save more money and get an A&K MKI and a good battery.
Back to top Go down
Brazzy

Brazzy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/10/2010, 7:58 am

I'm not sure why you would pay so much for a lipo battery

http://www.ebairsoft.com/airsoft-parts-battery-c-68_36.html

They are not that expensive. Only US Airsoft retailers take advantage of people. You can actually get any lipo battery and add the connectors to it. We used to bring on RC car companies as sponsors just for the batteries. They would charge us $25 for an 11.1v 25c 2200 mah battery. To be honest one of those would last you for days. If you're paying over $50 for a battery you're paying way too much.
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/10/2010, 11:57 am

i guess i'm nervous about getting one with low Mah so i saw 3300 on a li-po and it came with a case so i knew i wouldn't have to mess with it to get it into mine so it looked like what i need, i definately was not excited about the price though... oh and what does the 12C 15C 20C and 25C mean? is it some kind of discharge rate or something? if so is it better to have higher or lower?
Back to top Go down
Brazzy

Brazzy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/10/2010, 12:31 pm

There has to be something wrong with either your battery or your charger. I have never had a 1200 mah lipo battery die on me. Even after two day events. That really shouldnt be an issue.

The C is the continuous discharge rate. Batteries tend to dump their most of their power when the current first starts to flow. The discharge will weaken if it is continuous. The C (ranging from 12-30) lets you know the discharge rate after the current is initiated. All is all the higher C will give you a higher rate of fire (firing full auto is obviously utilizing a battery's continuous discharge). So On most rifles you'd want 12-20c depending on your set up. Something like a SAW Its preferred to use a 20c+. However its all based on your gun's current set up. Dont just throw in an 11.1v 30c 4000 mah batt on a stock gun.

The battery you want will strongly depend on the way you play as well as the gun you use. For me I typically use after market motors so I do not need an extremely high continuous discharge rate because the motor will be at peak performance even with a lower C battery.

I suggest that blue one listed above because it is 20c. 20c is right in the middle of the spectrum and will be adequate for all purposes. I've used it in 2 day events and never had it even come close to dying on me. It will also fit in just about every gun without an external compartment.

On the PEQ2 on m4 M4 I do run a 11.1v 2200mah 25C battery. That has lasted multiple events with weeks in between without being charged. I dont mind running 25c because internally that gun is built like a tank.
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/10/2010, 12:59 pm

ok how long does it usually take you to charge your batteries? cause it takes like 30-45 minutes to charge mine, i don't think it's the charger i think it's the battery that's the problem... are there any specific brands of batteries that are better than others? i know that you recommend firefox so would you say that they're the best or is there a better brand?
Back to top Go down
Brazzy

Brazzy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/10/2010, 1:24 pm

My charger has a few settings. I never use the fast charge setting. I always use the balance charge setting. It takes usually 1-2 hours depending on how much the battery needs to be charged.
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/10/2010, 1:46 pm

ok, and your batteries really never die on you?
Back to top Go down
Brazzy

Brazzy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/10/2010, 3:38 pm

Since I switched to Li-poly I have not had them die on me. Generally speaking the mah on a NiCd or MiMh battery coincides with the number of rounds you can run through it. People used to sat 1 mah= 1 BB (not really accurate but it was a rule of thumb many years ago). With Lipoly batteries thats not the case. You shouldnt have any issues at all. I have tries many brands and even some custom stuff, but I have never had the issue you are running into.

Heres an example:
This is with that blue fire fox.
My Scar had a major overhaul. The reason for it was in November I played at an event (over 100 heads so a lot of gun fights) and I was very happy with the functionality of the gun, but I thought it could use a tune up. I played all day and it was also a night game so we played deep into the night as well. I took it home and left it in my basement in the gun case. The next week (without even taking the battery out of the gun) I went to battlegroundz and was plinking around with it in a few games. I ran into my airsmith and gave him the gun with the battery. We chrono'd it and over time completed a number of upgrades. As the gun was being worked on this battery was used to test it. After the work was complete we then tested thew final product and zero'd some optics. Here we are in April and it still has not been charged. So 1 big game, 1 small game, testing, zeroing, and it still does not show any signs of slowing down.
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/10/2010, 5:41 pm

well it looks like that battery is gonna be my next purchase, hopefully it's not the charger that's messed up.
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime4/12/2010, 7:35 pm

do you have a link to where i could get that smart charger you have?
Back to top Go down
tstonk
E-8 Master Sergeant
E-8 Master Sergeant
tstonk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime6/29/2010, 4:07 pm

two things, one, i'm extremely happy with the firefox lipo i got, i guess my last lipo was a lemon as my new one never needs to be charged.

second, what do you know about the STAR Mk46? i might be getting one in the next few days if the seller's first offer falls through.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on SAW   Opinions on SAW - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions on SAW
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Black Sun Rise :: Gear :: Questions, Opinions, and Setups-
Jump to: